UPDATE: Police arrest man after lengthy standoff in Glasgow

Updated: May. 12, 2021 at 6:21 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GLASGOW, Ky. (WBKO) - Update: 05-13-2021 7:52 AM

On Wednesday, Glasgow Police responded to Humble Avenue in response to a complaint of a man that had pointed a gun at a child.

When police arrived, they found Cannon C. Pendergrass behind a home on Humble Avenue with his hands in his pockets.

Authorities told Pendergrass to show his hands and police say he refused. Officials say Pendergrass pulled a handgun from his waistband and kept it pointed at the ground. They said Pendergrass then walked back to the home, went inside and shut the door, ignoring commands from officials.

According to authorities, they attempted to negotiate with Pendergrass for several hours.

Officials say the standoff with police ended when Pendergrass came out through the front door. He was then taken into custody.

Police did find a weapon at the home, a Glock 40 caliber handgun with an extended magazine. No injuries were reported.

Pendergrass is facing charges of Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree (3 Counts), Fleeing Or Evading Police 2nd Degree (On Foot), Menacing, Possession Of Handgun By Convicted Felon, Resisting Arrest, Possession Control Substance 1st Degree 1st Offense (Drug Unspecified), Disorderly Conduct 2nd Degree and Tampering With Physical Evidence.

Update 8:45 p.m.

Around 8:00 p.m. tonight, police fired tear gas into the home on Humble Avenue, where the man was arrested.

The man was unarmed, and no injuries were reported.

The name of the suspect has not been released yet.

Original Story

Police were on the scene for hours in Glasgow trying to negotiate with an armed man to come outside.

According to Glasgow Police, officers initially responded to a call that a man had a gun. Police arrived and say the man ran off and locked himself inside a house on Humble Avenue. Police say the suspect was armed and alone side the home.

While on the scene, negotiators used different tactics as they continued to plead with the man to come outside.

Police have not released information on what led to this standoff.

WBKO News will update this story as more details become available.

Copyright 2021 WBKO. All rights reserved.